Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Running Athletes Camel Toe

NEXT DOOR

One of the course "Elementary Mathematics from a higher point of view," he asked to do, was to interview a genius next door (obviously a mathematical genius!).
Initially I did not know where to turn, but eventually I had an epiphany and I immediately thought of interviewing one of my high school teacher, who still teaches physics and mathematics in High School and a Language High School.
Before coming to high school, however, has taught in several schools in the province of Pavia: initially worked in middle school, then went to secondary school, teaching both in technical professional, both in high schools.
identified the teacher to be applied to the interview, I can not just have to think about what to ask for a fairly complete picture, but his experience with mathematics, both at school and in everyday life.


Here are the questions that I raised and its respective Responses:

1. "As has been prudent to have a passion for math?"
Even as a child I was always attracted by the numbers, geometric forms and phenomena related to physics. Attraction was obviously unconscious, but over time I started to become increasingly aware.
My father told me that back when I attended primary school, when I came home from school and told him everything I had done during the hours of mathematics and for hours I did not know (and did not want to) talk about something else. Then my father submitted those classic "problemini" for an adult are logical, but who are able to puzzled children (for example the question "weighs more a pound of iron or a pound of feathers?"). Unfortunately I do not remember all of my childhood, but I remember that I had so much fun to solve all those problems and headaches.
Not to mention when I accompanied my mother to buy bread! The always wondered, in fact, to count me the money to pay the bill and any remainder to be received. My mother, at times, especially when in a hurry, it was a bit 'annoyed by my "vice" because I was good at counting, but I was still fast in it, so I missed the time ... Fortunately, however, realizing the my little passion, has always left me to do and helped me with the passage of time, to keep alive my passion.
I think it's these little things that I started, slowly, to realize that I loved math and all that was connected to it. And now, here I am teaching for many years!

2. "That passion is innate, or it was built over time?"
Certainly, as I mentioned before, is partly innate, but like every talent and every passion, must be cultivated and enhanced over time, because if you do you risk losing it, or better yet, forget about it, and this would be a shame. Unfortunately it often happens that many talents are lost only because they are ignored, or worse yet, not identified and valued.
I, fortunately, I had two parents can understand my passion is for this reason that they were also willing to make many sacrifices to allow me to cultivate it and take it forward.

3. "What was the path (both studies, both of life) that brought her to teach?"
My attraction to math, found both in elementary and in junior high, led me to attend the High School , after which I enrolled in the Faculty of Mathematics and, after so hard and so hard, I graduated.
I embarked on the difficult path of teaching because I realized, while studying in high school and university, to be particularly inclined to explain to others what I learned, to do so, moreover, has always given me great satisfaction and satisfaction. Upon graduation I decided to pursue a career school, hoping to make people love a bit 'more math to those who do not have the same passion.

4. "What is your relationship with your students?"
Speaking of the relationship with my students, I can say with joy that has always been very open and positive. Of course, not all I see a good eye (after all it is almost impossible when you consider the high number of students I met during my school career), but overall I can say I "love and in agreement "with a good percentage of students.
The only thing for which I sometimes feel criticism is that at certain points of the program go a bit 'too fast, but unfortunately (not always to my will), I have a schedule and deadlines to meet, and this sometimes leads to having to necessarily speed up a little 'time to keep up with everything. On the other hand, however, from 5 or 6 years now (and you you know, since you were one of my students) I have given my full availability to anyone who needed further clarification, because I managed to obtain permission from the Dean to stay at school a couple of afternoons a week, after the lessons, to make a sort of "repeat" to my students most in need (everything, of course, free!).
This additional opportunities that I could give my students has made my relationship with them even more serene and constructive.


5. "His method of teaching has changed over time or is it still the same? "
Early in my career I found myself a bit 'crowded out. The first few times I taught tended to be very cold and stiff. My classes were purely theoretical and, therefore, very boring. But these are errors that are often novice teachers.
Fortunately, with time, I have softened and started to constantly change my approach and my method of teaching, learning to understand the interests and the real capacity of my students to leave and to plan for this basarmi my lessons.
Usually, when I explain the concepts quite difficult, I tend to do a lot of practical examples (of course where you can) and a number of years, so that all my students, or at least most, understand and be able to follow without too much difficulty the next part of the program.
What I want to understand is that it is very important for a teacher to review and reflect on their methods, because sometimes the poor performance of students does not depend on their commitment or just a little study, but dall'inappropriato teaching method used by the teacher .
recognize, sometimes, you were wrong approach, it is a humiliation for the teacher, but it is a sign of great humility and maturity. It 's a constant to get involved.

6. "What tools are used to teach mathematics to children?"
Generally, as a base, use textbooks and manuals, but just to give children a reference point from which to draw.
In class, in fact, tend to perform many exercises at the blackboard, trying to ask all my students every time, in order to create a climate of cooperation (for example, if the guy who is performing the exercise on the chalkboard or wrong is in trouble, I ask his companions to help him solve the problem and explain where he was wrong).
In recent years I also began to give lessons using the computer, the use of this tool has proved very useful for two reasons: first, because it allowed to perform tasks manually that would be very difficult and much longer to run, and secondly, because it has motivated a lot of my students, making them closer to the field and stimulate their interest.
Also, since I introduced in my method of teaching this new technological tool, I found significant improvements in the performance of many of my students.

7. "What were the most frequent problems encountered in teaching this subject?"
The problems I have encountered in recent years of teaching are not so different from those I met early in my career.
Many students have trouble with math because they are not stupid, but simply because they do not apply and do not exercise, probably due to the lack of desire. Others, however, undertake a lot, but still put all struggle to understand. For others, however, it is simply attention problems, that do not understand what I explain to the simple fact that while I think these guys to another class or chatting with her boyfriend.
Well, except for students with serious learning deficits, for other students who encounter problems with my area are multiple and result from a multitude of factors different.
What can I do it groped to involve as much as possible students who show less interest and try to help students who really have difficulty understanding, despite their efforts.

8. "I think the resentment of many young people in mathematics is due to inappropriate teaching methods, or other factors take over?"
As I previously mentioned, often the method used by the teacher is a key factor for success and involvement of their pupils. Obviously, the method is effective with some students might not be for others. The biggest difficulty for
a teacher is precisely in this ambivalence. Unfortunately nowadays the number of students per class is very high, so it is almost impossible to use a method that works for everyone.
What you can do, if it is not possible to individualize the work is to offer support and assistance to all students who need them.
I do not think, however, that the method of teaching is the only factor that impacts the interest in mathematics. On it, in fact, may also impact the family, personal passions, motivation, the utility that each of us attaches to this matter, sympathy / antipathy for the professor.
short, there may be several reasons why a person does not like math, but I remain of the view that one of the most influential factors is the methodology used by the teacher.

9. "His passion and his interest in mathematics has never wavered?"
Not particularly. Obviously, when you encounter obstacles, risks lose heart and to have second thoughts about the choices made or grown on the passions, but we need not fear the challenges that life presents us. If you face these challenges, once overcome and made you feel stronger than before. I have had moments of blacks, especially at the beginning University and during my first years of work, but I always tried to overcome the difficulties that stood in front me. The fact that mathematics is for me a deep and genuine passion, has helped me to overcome obstacles and move forward.

10. "Finally, may list some key terms that describe, if only in small part, what is the math for you?"
I find it very difficult to encapsulate in a few words all that for me is math, because it meant a lot in my life.
I know it's a bit 'generic, but to respond honestly to the question "What is for my math, I can think of only one answer that encompasses many others, but that is the most significant of all: For me math is my life.



0 comments:

Post a Comment